What are Blisters?
Blisters are painful, fluid-filled lesions, often caused by friction and pressure.
Causes of Blisters:
- Ill-fitting shoes
- Stiff shoes
- Wrinkled socks against the skin
- Excessive moisture
- Foot deformities
What can you do?
- Keep your feet dry
- Always wear socks as a cushion between your feet and shoes
- Wear properly fitting shoes
- If a blister does occur, do not pop it
- Cut a hole in a 1⁄4″ piece of foam or felt, forming a “doughnut” over the blister; tape the foam or felt in place or cover with a soft gel type dressing
- Treat an open blister with mild soap and water; cover it with an antiseptic ointment and protective soft gel dressing to prevent infection and speed up the healing process
What will a podiatric physician do for you?
- Remove the blister surface if needed
- Prescribe appropriate medications, topical or oral
- Recommend paddings, dressings, and friction-reducing measures